National Geographic : 1898 Feb
GARDINER GREENE HUBBARD six or eight months we found six pupils, with whom we opened a school at Chelmsford, under the care of Miss Rogers." Miss Rogers began teaching her first pupil a few months after the failure of the first attempt to establish a school. Mr Hub bard watched the work of this little school with most intense interest, for from the first the full import of the experiment seemed clear to his mind. If it was successful it meant speech for the deaf and the English language through speech ; if it failed it meant a deeper silence and a strange language of signs used in place of the language of home and country. The success of the school exceeded their expectations, and in 1867 an effort was made to secure its incorporation. Mr Hubbard wrote: " Mr Talbot and myself called on Governor Bullock and asked him in his message to the legislature to refer to our school and favor an application we intended to make for a charter for it. To our great surprise, he told us that he had that morning received a letter from a gentleman in Northampton offering $50,000 if a school for the deaf could be established in Northampton." Governor Bullock did refer at considerable length to the offer of Mr Clarke and recommended the establishment of a school for the deaf in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. That portion of his message was referred to a special committee of the Senate and the House, of which the Honorable Lewis J. Dudley, of Northampton, was chairman on the part of the House. Long, earnest, and sharp were the debates held before the committee. The advocates of the sign method still felt that a fearful mistake was being made. The Massachusetts State Board of Charities, of which the Honorable F. B. Sanborn was secretary, heartily endorsed the movement toward the establishment of the new school. Mr Dudley had become a convert to the oral method and used his utmost influence to forward the movement. The act of incorporation was secured, and Mr Clarke expressed his purpose to give the school the bulk of his remaining property. The little experimental school of Miss Rogers was closed. Its zealous and devoted teacher and her pupils became the nucleus of the Clarke school in Ndrthampton, which opened in October, 1867. Mr Hubbard was made president of its corporation and for the first ten years of its existence gave the school much per sonal attention. Then followed years when he lived much abroad and when his life was overcrowded with other interests; but wherever he was and however busied with other matters, he always found time to visit schools for the deaf and write of their methods and results.