National Geographic : 1898 Apr
110 THE NORTHWEST PASSES TO THE YUKON the one-eyed tyrant of the Chilkoot village, would let him cross the mountains, which they pictured as full of dangers, although Lieut. Wood was fortified with messages, gifts, and tokens from Doniwak's sister, the wife of Sitka Jack. An account of his stay, "Among the Thlinkets in Alaska," was published in The Century magazine July, 1882. In 1878 Doniwak peremptorily refused entrance to the pros pectors Rath and Bean, but is said to have permitted George Holt to go as far as Fort Selkirk and return under guard. In 1880 the same Edmund Bean, with a party of nineteen miners, were placed under the special protection of Kloh-Kutz, through the active interest and clever diplomacy of Capt. L. A. Beardslee, U. S. N., and guided across the passes, after giving assurances that they would not interfere with the fur trade. A trader did slip in in the wake of the prospectors, but being de tected, was brought back and his life saved by Capt. Beardslee's earnest interference. As these miners went in, they met James Wynn (now of Juneau) coming out, and from him received warn ing of the dangerous rapids in the river beyond the lakes. Wynn has assured me that he had previously crossed the pass in 1879. Forty-five miners crossed the pass in the spring of 1882 and returned in the autumn, and the Indians, finding that the pack ing of miners' supplies was more remunerative than the dimin ishing fur-trade, virtually raised the blockade and established an exorbitant tariff for transportation. The Doctors Krause,of the Geographical Societies of Berlin and Bremen, spent the year 1882 and the succeeding winter at Pyramid Harbor and in the Chilkat villages, making the ethno graphic studies published in the volume Die Thlinket Indianer and in collecting for their museum. Kloh-Kutz was, as usual, the patron and protector of scientists, and assisted in their ex ploration and survey of the Chilkat river and its branches, the Chilkat pass, and the country beyond as far as the great lake named Lake Arkell in 1890. The Drs Krause's maps of this region were published by the Berlin and Bremen Geographical Societies in 1883. In 1883 Lieut. Frederick Schwatka, U. S. A., crossed by the miners' usual trail the eastern, Chilkoot, or Shaseki pass, re named it the Perrier pass, and rafted his way down the Yukon to the sea. The miners who went in in 1883 sent back for pro visions and spent the winter on the upper Yukon.