National Geographic : 1970 Jan
wrecked warehouses in the bayside Lower Town (page 139) give little indication that this was once a great center of world trade in the days of sailing ships. For more than half a century the volcanic island of Statia thrived as the Golden Rock, the Diamond Rock. Envious neighbors be stowed the names in token of its wealth, de rived from a lucrative commerce in slaves, sugar, and munitions. During the American Revolution, the United States was Statia's most eager customer. Good business made good friends, and Statia became the first foreign port to salute a United States warship. On November 16, 1776, the brigantine An drew Doriaentered Statia's roadstead, dipped the Grand Union (the Stars and Stripes had not yet been born), and fired a salute. Johannes de Graaff, Statia's commander, ordered a return salute (page 138). When the British learned of this outrage, they protested to the Netherlands, and De Graaff was called home Maarten. Telephoto lens shrinks the between-island distance of 25 miles.