National Geographic : 1970 Jul
GIANT STONE HORSE held by a tether of sand, 288-foot-high Perce Rock grazes in the Gulf of St. Lawrence off the tip of Gaspe Peninsula. Explorers in the 1600's reported as many as four arches in the base of the sea-sculptured formation. By 1760 only two remained, as seen in this print (inset), looking from the opposite side. The outer arch finally collapsed in 1845; its seaward column still stands at far right. High tides daily flood the sandy link to the main land village of Perce, upper left, often marooning unwitting vacationists who stroll out to Perce Rock at low water.