National Geographic : 1973 Mar
APOSTOLOS ANDREAS MONASTERY- Cape Plakot no' Cape Elea Famagusta Bay SALAMIS aomi amagusta Cape Greco" ir karpaso / . Ruin Elevations in feet 0 20 STATUTEMILES DRAWN BY LEO ZEBARTH COMPILEDBY DOROTHYA. NICHOLSON CYPRUS Phoenicians, Greeks, and Romans colonized 140-mile-long Cyprus; it was one of Mark Antony's gifts to Cleopatra. The Byzantine Empire ruled the island from A.D. 395 until 1191, when Richard the Lionheart took it, making it a Crusader's haven. Later, Venetians annexed the island and ringed Nicosia, the capital, with arrow shaped bastions (lower left) that now separate the city's center from its ' suburbs. Turks ruled for more than three centuries; Britain administered the island from 1878 until 1960. She still controls 99 square miles in two military bases, a major source of Cyprus's income. The 12-year-old flag of Cyprus flies only over national offices. Elected vice president of Cyprus under the 1960 constitution, Dr. Fazil Kiiiik now heads the separate Turkish administration and owns a Turkish-language paper in Nicosia. He seeks local autonomy for Turks in a reunited regime.