National Geographic : 1977 Jun
a litany of restrictions-but where they may not reside. This is apartheid-literally "apartness" South Africa's policy of separation of the races. The government is taking apartheid a giant step further with its plan to create independent nations out of the black tribes' traditional homelands, which together com- prise 13 percent of the land, including half of the most fertile. The remaining 87 percent will be in the hands of the 4,300,000 whites, whose enterprise has made the country the richest and most powerful in Africa. This policy of separate development of the na tion's 16,500,000 blacks lies at the heart of the turmoil affecting South Africa.