National Geographic : 1991 Sep
Let's face it, it's an unsettling question. Especially when you're traveling alongside it at 55 miles per hour. Fortunately, though, the answer is a good deal more reassuring. Because the drivers who transport our chemicals know precisely what they're hauling. Which iswhy the member companies of The Chemical Manufacturers Association are schooling local firefighters, police and ambulance teams in the right ways to re spond to accidents involving hazardous chemicals. It's also why we have something called CHEMTREC. A twenty-four-hour emergency center designed to get ac curate advice into the hands of emergency truck with one of those back and it occur idea how hazardous you wondering whether And they know precisely what to do if something goes wrong. Which means, first and foremost, that they're trained to handle their rigs. In good or bad weather, on busy or desolate highways. And since hazardous mate rials don't suddenly become harmless the moment the engines are turned off, our people are also trained in the proper ways to load and unload them. The statistics bear this out. Of the half-million or so hazardous materials shipments moving through the U.S. every day, 99.99% arrive at their destination safely, without incident. Unfortunately, that leaves 0.01% that don't. response personnel in the earliest stages of an accident, when it counts the most. And to quickly dispatch any of 225 emer gency response teams to the site of serious incidents. Anywhere in the country. Day or night. We do all this for one simple reason. The risks associated with our chem icals don't end when they leave our plants. And neither do our efforts to make them safer. To find out more about what we're doing to produce, transport and handle chemicals more safely, call for our Responsible Care® Brochure at 1-800-624-4321. The Chemical Manufacturers Association. We want you to know. it does it either.