National Geographic : 1961 Jan
lights, bells, radio, and a moat for running water. They plugged it in, down in the basement, and it blew a fuse. The Executive West Wing is the news making part of the White Huse. Off its big central lobby is a crowded office with 30 telephones. In it 25 full-time reporters cover the President for newspapers, magazines, wire services, radio, and television. Each morning the President's Press Secre tary posts a list of his boss's appointments for the day. When an important visitor comes to see the President, photographers crowd around, shouting instructions. Newsmen pounce, notebooks in hand. The big news-makers, however, are the Chief Executive's own press conferences, at which the entire Washington news corps quizzes him on anything from satellites to his plans for running for another term. These meetings, begun by Woodrow Wilson, were held in the President's Executive Of fice until 1950. They were then moved next door to the old State Department building. White House correspondents were not al ways so welcomed. It was Theodore Roose velt-seeing a shivering group of reporters outside his window one winter night-who first invited them inside his new West Wing. Nor were newsmen always well mannered. President Cleveland called them "Ghouls of the Press," after reporters flippantly referred 41 HS EKTACHROMEBY NATIONALGEOGRAPHICPHOTOGRAPHERB. ANTHONY STEWART© N.G.S.