National Geographic : 1963 Feb
KODACHROMESBY ROBERT F. SISSON © N.G.S. Theodore Roosevelt Welcomes Visitors to the Addition Named in His Honor This heroic equestrian bronze by James Earle Fraser depicts Roosevelt flanked by an American Indian and an African tribesman. It stands in front of the building dedicated by New York State in 1936 as a tribute to its famous son-the man who served as its Governor and later as the 26th President of the United States. With Central Park as its front yard, the museum spreads along four blocks between New York's West 77th and 81st Streets. A complex of 19 build ings, it is one of the largest museums in the world. Facilities include four field stations-on Long Island, in Florida, Arizona, and the Bahamas. President Ulysses S. Grant set the institution's cornerstone in 1874. So many buildings have risen on the grounds that today the cornerstone cannot be found. School buses park behind the museum's domed Hayden Planetarium, named for Charles Hayden, New York philanthropist (page 246). Five blocks away, the Hudson River flows past Manhattan.