National Geographic : 1963 Jun
heights overlooking the water. Santa Margherita combines two small towns that Napoleon merged and named Porto Napoleone. The name stuck until 1815, when Liguria was incorporated into the Kingdom of Sardinia. Today the harbor shelters the boats of international vis itors as well as yachtsmen from busy Genoa, 20 miles away. 771 NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC STAFF © N.G .S.