National Geographic : 1965 Nov
Warm glow of hospitality illumines the Chatillon-DeMenil House during a recep tion given by Landmarks, Inc., the associa tion that preserved this ante bellum man sion. Fur trader Henry Chatillon built the house in the 1840's. Dr. Nicholas DeMenil, who purchased it in 1856, added the entire east end, including the four Ionic columns and ornamental iron railings. Master musicians of the St. Louis Sympho ny follow the baton of conductor Eleazar de Carvalho. The orchestra, second oldest sym phony in the Nation, performs twice weekly during the winter season. His mysterious majesty the Veiled Prophet and his Queen of Love and Beauty, Anne Newhard, reign at the Veiled Prophet Ball.