National Geographic : 1968 Dec
largest expansion program since Mr. Rockefeller first came to town. Four additional exhibition buildings became part of the Williamsburg tours last July. All are important 18th century survivals: * The college's Wren Building, oldest academic structure still in use in the United States. Its original design attributed to the great English architect Sir Christopher Wren, but modified by the Virginians who built it, this centerpiece of the William and Mary campus has stood in quiet dignity at the western end of Duke of Gloucester Street for 269 years. The Chapel, Great Hall, and colonial classrooms evoke memories of Jefferson, John Marshall, and James Monroe, who studied there (page 811). * Wetherburn's Tavern, changed remarkably little by the passing decades, with its Bull Head Room and spacious Great Room for balls and banquets. * The elegant Peyton Randolph House, reflecting the wealth and taste of a prominent patriot. * The James Geddy House, home and shop of a family of colonial smiths, at the corner of the Palace Green and Duke 796 of Gloucester Street. On this corner, from 1738 onward, Its glory forgotten, Williamsburg slumbered in Virginia's backwater from 1780, when the capital was moved to Richmond, until 1927. Then the Reverend W. A . R. Good win of Bruton Parish Church, whose steeple rises in the distance, persuaded John D. Rockefeller, Jr., to restore and preserve it. This view, taken in the 1880's, shows broad, dusty Duke of Gloucester Street, later described as "a mile long, 99 feet wide, and a foot deep" (page 815). Ludwell-Paradise House (right center) was the first purchase of the restoration. Cinderella city glistens in an au tumn shower. Across today's leaf speckled Duke of Gloucester Street the reconstructed Raleigh Tavern, left, faces the King's Arms barber and wigmaker's shop (page 805).