National Geographic : 1950 Mar
Literary Landmarks of Massachusetts Mhot(-raph by Gilbert Grosvenior In Concord's Square Rises This Memorial to the Reverend Peter Bulkeley, a Town Founder His son Edward succeeded him in the Concord pastorate. Edward's friendly reputation saved the com munity from attack by the Indians during King Philip's War. A chief declared: "We no prosper, if we go to Concord. The Great Spirit love that people-they have a great man there-he great pray." The late Prof. Edwin A. Grosvenor of Amherst College, a descendant of Peter Bulkeley, is seated beside the marker. 600,000 entries-eight times the entries of the 1825 Webster. No other book in the English language (or any other language) contains so much information.* Grosvenor House Amherst Landmark A prominent Amherst campus landmark is Grosvenor House, the home of the late Edwin Augustus Grosvenor, father of the Editor of the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE. The Reverend Edwin A. Grosvenor was called to Amherst from Robert College in istanbul, then Constantinople, where he had been professor of history for 21 years. He spoke modern Greek, French, and Turkish.' He translated and published a Greek novel, Androniki, and Victor Duruy's histories from the French. He wrote Contemporary History of the World, and many articles for the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC. Dr. Grosvenor was the first author to illus trate a book profusely by modern halftone photoengravings, now used universally. In * Editor in chief of the first Merriam-Webster dic tionary was Prof. Chauncey A. Goodrich of Yale, Webster's son-in-law. Noah Porter, president of Yale, edited the 1864 and 1890 editions. Editor in chief of the New International, Second Edition, was William Allan Neilson, president of Smith College, with Thomas A. Knott as general editor, assisted by such veterans of the 1909 edition as Everett E. Thompson. Today's general editor is John P. Bethel. President of G. & C. Merriam Company during the Second Edition revision was Asa G. Baker. He was succeeded as president in 1934 by Robert C. Munroe, who retires in March, 1950, after 52 years of service with the company.