National Geographic : 1950 Jul
Safe Harbor Dam Backs aWatery Swath Across Pennsylvania "Dutch" Fertile Farmlands Instead offarms, Washing ton, D.C.'s Mall, avenues, and monuments might have covered this rural patchwork. The House ofRepresentatives in 1789-90 favored establishing the National Capital here. Wright's Ferry changed itsvil lage name toColumbia, per haps inanticipation. But Con gress finally chose Philadelphia asthe temporary Federal City and the Potomac River asthe permanent site. Present-day Columbia lies to the right ofthe barely discern ible bridge inthe distance. This mile-long span isthe only high way connection between Lan caster and York Counties. Red roses planted atthe Lancaster end (right) and white roses at the York approach recall the 15th-century Wars ofthe Roses between the English royal fam ilies ofLancaster and York. Confederate troops reached their northeasternmost point at Wrightsville, across the river from Columbia. Finding the then wooden bridge burned by retreating Union forces, they turned west and joined Lee at Gettysburg. Fairchild Aerial Surveys, Inc.