National Geographic : 1950 Dec
Q) .atlonal Ueograpllic Society + Bethlehem Marks the Nativity with a Star; an Arab Policeman Stands Watch Silver emblem beneath Basilica of the Nativity (below) supposedly points to Christ's birthplace in the grotto next to the ancient inn. Lamps, placed by Cath olics, Greeks, and Armenians, light the site. Arabs guard the shrine, for Arabic Jordan controls Bethlehem. locacirrollmes by laynard Owen Williams + A Greek Priest in Nativity Church Inspects Byzantine Paintings Bethlehem's Basilica of the Nativity is the oldest Christian church in use. It was erected A. D. 330, re stored and enlarged in the sixth century. The main door is so low that visitors stoop to enter. It was so built to prevent hostile armies stabling horses within.