National Geographic : 1951 Sep
Nnational Geographic Society 316 Kodachroine byJ.Baylor Roberts Near Bismarck a Blockhouse of Old Fort McKeen Has Been Restored as It Was inthe Indian-fighting Seventies Overhanging top was built to shelter riflemen repelling attackers. When it was found that the Sioux fought runningbattles and had tobedriven offbysorties, straight stockade walls replaced these structures. Near here Custer bivouacked with his 7th Cavalry. His wife rode gaily outtoseehim offfortheLittle Bighorn.