National Geographic : 1953 Mar
TCharleston Juts into Water Like an Arrowhead South Carolina's oldest city has known two locations inits long history. The State's first permanent colonists, who ar rived in1670, established a settlement on the west bank ofthe Ashley River (out of sight tothe left). Ten years later the village was moved to the present location onOyster Point, anarrow, river-girt peninsula better situated for defense and sea-borne com merce (page 282). Settlers named itCharles Town in honor ofEngland's Charles II. The name Charles Town continued inuse until shortly after the Revolutionary War. Twin rivers, the Ashley (bot tom) and the Cooper (center) skirt the city and empty into abroad bay atthe foot ofthe peninsula. John P.Grace Memorial Bridge links city and mainland. <-Mossy Live Oaks Lead toBoone Hall Historic Boone Hall Planta tion near Charleston isnamed for Maj. John Boone, who ac quired the property atthe end ofthe17th century. An ave nue of stately live oaks set out in1843 makes the plantation noteworthy. The distant house, constructed inmodern times, replaces an earlier dwelling.