National Geographic : 1954 Apr
519 V Koaachromes by Fraser Wilkins Stevedores Land Cargo in the Surf at Pondichery, Capital of French India As reminders of the long struggle between European nations for control of India, four settlements along the coast still fly the French Tricolor. Pondichery, most populous of the four, was purchased in 1672 from the ruler of Bijapur, and later captured by the Dutch and four times by the British. In 1940 Pondichery declared for the Free French and so escaped occupation by the Allies. Another French colony, 4-square-mile Chandernagore, was transferred to India in 1950. Old French and British prints show similar beach scenes of the late 18th and early 19th centuries.