National Geographic : 1954 Oct
+ College Choir's Anthem Peals Across Oak-paneled Chapel of Wren Building Built in 1732 in the style of a Church of England chantry, this Georgian chapel now brings William and Mary students together for weekly services. Open on the altar is the "Booke of Common Prayer, Imprinted at London by Robert Barker, Printer to the Kings Most Excellent Majestie, 1616." Buried in a crypt below are such illustrious colonial figures as Sir John Randolph, Peyton Randolph, and Lord Botetourt. + For last-minute cramming, a student curls up in one of the Great Hall's circular windows. 485 © Kodachromes by National Geographic Photographers B. Anthony Stewart and Donald McBain +Splinter-free Floor ofWren's Great Hall IsKind toBare Feet Where Virginia's House of Burgesses met insolemn ses sion before completion ofthe Capitol in1704, William and Mary girls now learn modern dance. Here aninstructor (left) leads pupils inabody control exercise. Paneled innative pine, this wing ofthe Wren Building has been used also asthe college refectory, ahospital ward inRevolutionary times, barracks for Confederate troops, aballroom, and a classroom. Portraits ofthe Randolphs and the Bollings, long prominent inVirginia affairs, look down gravely upon thebarefoot coeds.