National Geographic : 1956 Apr
© National Geographic Society 452 Colonial Purton Served as a Model for Restoration Work at Williamsburg No one knows who built this Gloucester County mansion, for fire consumed the records. Inside and out the house is a prime example of 18th-century architecture and craftsmanship. Today it belongs to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Lloyd of London, England, and Virginia. They raise Aberdeen Angus cattle on Purton's rich pastures. Mrs. Lloyd appears at the door, discussing with a workman the best way to wash the face of brick marked by removal of a porch. A crumbled ruin on another part of the estate is known as Old Purton.