National Geographic : 1957 Jan
95 Henry Rohland, Washington Post and Times Herald Bugles Peal and Drums Roll at Marine Barracks, the Leathernecks' Oldest Post Established in 1801 on a site selected by President Jefferson, the post was Corps headquarters for a century. Today it is used largely by Marines on ceremonial duty. John Philip Sousa, a leader of the Marine Band, wrote some of his marches at the post. Here the Drum and Bugle Corps plays at a sunset parade. Blair House, in what old-timers still call the State, War, and Navy Building. Now the White House executive offices have overflowed into the rambling structure, and the State Department does most of its business in its new home at Twenty-first Street and Virginia Avenue in Foggy Bottom. State, War, and Navy was completed in 1888, but even older is the square red-brick building just west of Blair-Lee House where the United States Court of Claims holds forth. This structure was erected in 1859 by philan thropist William W. Corcoran to house an art collection which he presented to the city. The Corcoran Gallery of Art later moved a few blocks south on Seventeenth Street. At Seventeenth Street and the Avenue we stood on the corner taking the long view east. In 1791, after Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson saw L'Enfant's plan, he wrote: "The street most desirable to be built up at once, we suppose to be the broad one (the avenue) leading from the President's house to the Capitol." Mr. Jefferson, then and later, had a way of being right.