National Geographic : 1957 Sep
417 A Tanker Churns the Narrows Where Ships Hove To for Tribute The Turks converted their sprawling headquarters into a toll station, exacting payment from all passing vessels. Vine-covered Tower of Blood (right) housed political prisoners. Abandoned for centuries, the castle walls until recently sheltered families held by tradition to be descendants of the builders. Today only an occasional visitor threads the deserted passageways. Ship heads toward the Black Sea.