National Geographic : 1940 Jun
o Photograph byJ.Baylor Roberts INDIANS BEGAN TO WORSHIP GOD AT MISSION SAN XAVIER DEL BAC, ARIZONA, IN 1692 Seen on a bright day through green cottonwoods, against a background of purple hills, this church is regardedas one ofthe most beautiful oftheecclesiastical structures inherited from Spain. Though the mission post itself was founded by that noted Jesuit missionary-explorer, Father Eusebio Kino, thepresent building was not begun until 1782. It is served now by Franciscans, whose congregation is mostly Papago Indians. The church shelters rare old paintings and figures of thesaints.