National Geographic : 1940 Jun
Photograph byGrant, National Park Service IN STEEP, SANDSTONE WALLS OF ARIZONA'S CANYON DE CHELLY WIND-CUT NICHES HOLD RUINED CLIFF DWELLINGS So-called "White House," the upper edifice shown here, is easily reached. Others higher up are inaccessible, butfor finger-and-toe holds cut inthe rock by ancient Navajos, whose stronghold this was (page 744). In places these cliffs are almost as high as the Empire State Building. InJanuary, 1864, Kit Carson's men corralled some 8,000 Navajos here and took them to a reservation; a few hundred still live in the canyon.