National Geographic : 1941 Jul
The National Geographic Magazine "alT nlnoiognsra metnarrlsnn -lO\Vell , alter From the Steeple, Trombones Sound Over Bethlehem Ninety years ago a trombone choir first played at an Easter sunrise service of the Central Moravian Church in this Pennsylvania city. The custom has continued ever since. Immigrants from Saxony founded the congregation in 1741. The present church was built in 1803 (opposite page). Dunkards or Dunkers, landed in 1719. They, too, flocked to the fertile valleys in Lancaster County. Many spread west ward and southward until today hardly a farming section of our country is without these master farmers. Among the Brethren ap peared, in time, Johann Conrad Beissel. He founded a group that considered Saturday the true Sabbath and observed it as a holy day. Settling at Ephrata, they established a thriving mo nastic group. The colony has virtually dis integrated now, but the "clois ters" of the enterprise still stand, a spot of interest to visitors (page 70). Coming to Pennsylvania in 1734, the Schwenkfelders set tled in what is now Montgomery County, but particularly in the valley of the Perkiomen. Since then, they have lived here to add their bit to the color and character of our region. Among the last of the "sects" to arrive, though far from small in numbers, were the Moravians. In 1735 a group migrated to the new American colony of Georgia, but moved north to Pennsylvania later. They pur chased an immense tract of land on which the town of Nazareth now stands. Here the MIoravians estab lished their industries, a dozen in number, and began their ex tensive and influential mission ary work among the Indians. The "redemptioners," too, formed a large body. They came as the result of the opera tions of shipowners and land speculators. These gentlemen found it profitable to lade the holds of their ships with bulky goods and the decks with pas sengers. To accomplish the lat ter, they advertised the glories of Pennsylvania. A circular shows a lad sitting on the bank of a stream, herding geese; the longer one looks at the woodcut illustration, the more geese he sees.