National Geographic : 1942 May
1-4 © National Geographic Society Kodachrome by B.Anthony Stewart Stair Rails in Carter's Grove Mansion Still Bear Saber Cuts Made by Colonel Tarleton's Redcoats during the Revolution The plantation house, shaded by lofty oaks, was built by Carter Burwell in 1751. It overlooks the James River nearWilliamsburg. Mr. and Mrs. Archibald McCrea acquired the estate 15 years ago and restored it. Carefully preserved was the interior Georgian woodwork of carved Virginia pine.