National Geographic : 1942 Dec
00 00 Rues Photo from Wide World A Massive Cathedral Dominates the Flat Site of the Annual Market at Gorki,Granddaddy ofFairs Rivers, flowing in from east and west, long since made the middle Volga region a center of barter. In 1817,this trade was fixed atNizhni Novgorod, which now bears the pen name of Alexey Maximovich Peshkov, Maxim Gorki. Two great cathedrals bless this place ofmerchandise, patriarch ofannual fairs. Buyers and sellers from China to Great Britain met here each summer. In 1880, goods worth $100,000,000 changed hands. World War Iand state trade brought aset back, but in 1927 more than 2,500 firms were again doing business at the old stand between the Oka, left, and theVolga, right.