National Geographic : 1944 Feb
© National Geographic Society Kodachrome byB.Anthony Stewart Shrine of Santo Cerro (Holy Hill) Overlooks an Enchanting Tropic Garden Which Columbus Named LaVega Real (the Royal Plain) Dedicated to the Virgin of Mercies, the chapel is built at the spot where the Discoverer's tiny army battled a horde ofIndians in1495. Capturing hiswooden cross, the Indians tried in vain to burn it. In the flames, devout Dominicans believe, appeared a vision of the Virgin. Overawed, thesavages were defeated.