National Geographic : 1944 Apr
© National Geographic Society Kodachrome by B.Anthony Stewart In the Oaken Tower of the Old Unitarian Church Hangs the Lisbon Bell, Gift of aSea Captain The bell was one of a set of six cast originally in Lisbon for a Portuguese church. Capt. Charles Clasby, of Nantucket, visited the foundry in1812, was charmed by the bell's mellow tone, and brought it home. It still bears the Portuguese inscription dedicating it to a church inwhich itnever was installed.