National Geographic : 1946 Jul
The National Geographic Magazine Staff P A Tasseled Silver Skippet Protects the Seal This box encases the wax seal attached to the British Pauncefote Treaty, regarding a ship canal to connect t Although Edward VII signed the ratification in 1902, 1 used. Around her portrait is a Latin inscription sign Grace of God Queen of Britain, Defender of the Faith, top of the case, reflected in the mirror, bears the royal inches in diameter, is in the National Archives in Wash The Bureau of Lighthouses was transferred from the Department of Commerce to the Coast Guard in 1939, and this made the lighthouse in appropriate for the seal. The Solicitor for the Department, however, stated that the transfer has no legal effect upon the continued use of the seal. Revision of the seal is under consideration. Seal is 2/ inches in diameter. An impression of the seal was included in the material placed in the cornerstone of the Commerce Department Building, Washington, D. C., in 1929. A colored decalcomania of the seal is placed on the passenger cars of the Secretary of Commerce and other top officials of the Department. The design is on all publications of the De partment, on the bronze doors at the main en trance to the Commerce Building, and on all charts issued by the Coast and Geodetic Sur vey. It also serves as the Commerce Depart ment library bookplate. INTERIOR, page 32. Although the In terior Department, cre ated in 1849 as the Home Department, is almost a hundred years old, its seal has the newest basic design of any of the ex ecutive departments. Ten days after the De partment was created, Edward Stabler (page 37) was authorized to design a seal. He used an American eagle. This seal was replaced in 1913 byanewonewitha similar design. In 1917 a seal with a buffalo was adopted. In 1923 the Department went back to an eagle. The present seal, the fifth, adopted in November, 1929, revived the buffalo. It was de signed by Oscar Webb, an engraver in Washing ton, D. C. The buffalo stands on a prairie with mountains hotographer B. Anthony Stewart and a rising sun in the of Queen Victoria background. The seal ratification of the Hay- commemorates the con the Atlantic and Pacific. servation of the bison by the seal of Victoria was the Department and sym ifying "Victoria by the bolizes the coordination Empress of India." The of conservation groups arms. The skippet, 63/4 under one Federal de ington, D. C. partment. It recalls the early settlement of the West, where much of the activity of the Depart ment is confined. Seal is 134 inches in diameter. JUSTICE, page 32. This Department was established in 1870, although the first Attorney General was appointed in 1789. A seal for the Justice Department was authorized by law in 1872, but the design varied from time to time, depending upon the ideas of the individual At torneys General. The design now used was made by Attorney General William D. Mitchell and Ugo Carusi, his executive assistant, in 1933 and approved by President Roosevelt in 1934.