National Geographic : 1947 Jun
Walter Meayers Edwards A Queue of Appetites, Preparing for a Day-long Ride, Besieges the Cook for Flapjacks Every morning at Windy Camp, 30 miles north of Banff on the Panther River, the Trail Riders go explor ing; by evening they are back after seeing moose, mule deer, Rocky Mountain sheep, and mountain scenery. A campfire singing session follows. Then comes sleep on spruce-bough mattresses in Indian tepees. my nose. Then she retreated hastily into the forest without a sound. She had been lying in the grass perfectly concealed until almost stepped upon. We continued our winding course into the Vermilion Lakes, but not another moose did we see. We did not mind after seeing Mount Rundle reflected in the placid surface and mak ing a picture to delight the soul of any artist. That this view is fully appreciated we dis covered later when we saw more than 20 art students by the lakeside while we were driving westward on our way to the Columbia Icefield (page 747). Don't Feed That Bear! A few miles beyond we passed a group of motorists thoughtlessly feeding a black bear on the highway. These animals are apt to impose upon such hospitality and, losing their fear of man, become dangerous. Park wardens must destroy many each year for that reason. Traveling down a long straight hill, we could see at the end of an avenue of pines what appeared to be a tremendous castle. Our map indicated that this was indeed Castle Mountain. In January, 1946, it was renamed by the Canadian Government in honor of General Eisenhower (Plate XII). Outside the warden's lodge at the base of Mount Eisenhower we were greeted by the warden, Ulysses La Casse, who in 1924 was guide and cook on the first expedition to photograph comprehensively the Columbia Icefield.* We were interested in his hobbies carving ornaments of talc and tables from pine burls (Plate XIII). Following the Bow River, winding through a deep valley with massive mountains on both sides, the highway continues its northwesterly * See "Mother of Rivers," by Lewis R. Freeman, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE, April, 1925.