National Geographic : 2010 Nov
PHOTO JOURNAL |ANDREW MOORE The Highland Park Ford plant was designed by Detroit architect Albert Kahn. It opened in 1910 and in 1913 became the first auto plant in the world to house an integrated, moving assembly line. Now it's a storage site, though some areas---like this moss-carpeted office in an administra- tion building next to the factory---have been unused for decades. At the former Cass Technical High School---built in 1917, damaged by fire in 2007, and vandalized ever since---an abandoned chemistry lab is a study in disarray. Students had been transferred to an adjacent new building in 2005.