National Geographic : 1930 Jul
Photograph by Fairchild Aerial Surveys FROM RUINS OF A CRUEL AZTEC SANCTUARY ROSE THE "MEXICANST. PETER'S" Much of the debris of the pagan teocalli of Tlaloc-Huitzilopochtli (see text, page 48) was used as building stone for the first Christian church in Mexico, which in the beginning of the sixteenth century occupied the site of the atrium of the present structure. The cathedral to-day rests upon a foundation composed almost entirely of the remains of the Indian shrine, including many sculptured images.Nearly seven generations had ahand in constructing the huge edifice; hence some architectural irregularities. It was completed in 1667. The openspace intheforeground isthe Plaza dela Constituci6n.