National Geographic : 1931 Nov
© National Geographic Society Finlay Direct Color Photograph by Capt. A.W. Stevens CONTRARY TO THE EXPECTATIONS OF ITS FOUNDERS, THE "FEDERAL CITY" HAS GROWN MAINLY NORTH AND WEST George Washington always modestly referred to the new city which bore his name as "the federal city,"and sosure were heand his contemporaries of its extension in an easterly direction that the Capitol was built to face that way. However, the star of civic development headed northwest. Inthe foreground is the new British Embassy, its entrance on Massachusetts Avenue (lower right corner). Inthe middle distance, atthe left, isthe large white administrative building of the Naval Observatory, while in the right background impressive apse and choir aisles ofthe Washington Cathedral give promise of the noble Gothic structure which is to crown Mount St. Alban.