National Geographic : 1931 Nov
01 WITH THIS NEW STRUCTURE THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY ENLARGES ITSHOME IN WASHINGTON, D.C. Thirty years ago historic Hubbard Hall, at the right, sufficed to house all The Society's activities. Now, with amillion and aquarter members drawn from every civilized community in the world, more space is required. This new edifice, designed by ArthurB.Heaton and approved bythe Commission of Fine Arts, accommodates the executive and editorial offices of The Society, a scientific museum, an incomparable collection ofgeographic manuscripts, photographs, and a library of current geography and rare books of travel and exploration. Thousands of members annually visiting Washington arewel comed at their Society's headquarters. A commodious annex in another section of the city provides officesfor the clerical staff, numbering five hundred.