National Geographic : 1931 Dec
©E.M. Newman LOOKING OVER NORWAY'S CAPITAL PROM THE OLD PALACETOWER The present city was founded by King Christian IV in 1624 to replace the ancient town of Oslo, which was destroyed byfire inthat year. For three centuries it bore his name, Christiania, but in 1925 the Norwegian Government changed it back to Oslo,after the former capital. There isanexcel lent harbor here and the city is important commercially as well as politically.