National Geographic : 1933 Feb
0 WHITBY'S REAL SPLENDORS BELONG TO THE PAST To-day it is but a fishing town and haven for lovers of the antique. Red-tiled houses cling to the slopeofthe East Cliff, crowned bythe parish church, St. Mary's, and the bleaching ruins of the Abbey, farther to the right (the latter not shown on this photograph). The small boats inthe foreground are cobles (see text, page 207). The larger characteristic craft of this coast is a keel boat.