National Geographic : 1933 Apr
WAYFARING DOWN THE WINDING SEVERN THE GLORY OF THE FAITHFUL CITY Worcester's principal building is the cathedral. After the Norman Conquest, the saintly Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester, was the only English prelate left in possession of his See. He adopted Norman customs and undertook the building of a church of stone according to the Norman pattern. Traces of his work remain. SlNltilUaiil ucugIapllc Jucilety lNaLuralI.olor rnotograpns uy nernara waKeman WILTON CASTLE FORMERLY GUARDED A FORD Trees tower over the ruins of the once stately stronghold, built during the reign of King Stephen. A bridge now carries traffic across the narrow Wye.