National Geographic : 1933 Aug
Photograph byE.Baumngartner LOFTY FORTIFICATIONS STILL GUARD ONE OF EUROPE'S MOST FAMOUSFRONTIERS The town of Breisach (Alt-Breisach) has grown over and around the elevation on the Rhine, which has been a stronghold since the earliest feudal lords held these lands. Louis XIV stopped to view the town on his way to inspect the fortifications erected by Vauban at Freiburg, which lies east ofthis crossing. The old Cathe dral dominates the town. The traffic jam of river craft is an evidence of German enthusiasm for the outdoors.