National Geographic : 1934 Jan
THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE WHERE THE A. E. F. FIRST SHOWED ITS FIGHTING STEEL Going over the top on May 28, 1918, the First Division captured Cantigny and held it against repeated counter-attacks. The architect, Arthur Loomis Harmon, of New York. Photograph by Maynard Owen Williams DEDICATING THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY'S MEMORIAL AT CANTIGNY To commemorate the first American victory in the World War, the capture of Cantigny, The Society in 1923 presented to the village a complete water-supply system and this fountain. The fountain was later removed by the National Geographic Society, as this site was desired for the national monument shown above.