National Geographic : 1934 Dec
Photograph byHugo Brehme MEXICO WAS BUSY WITH WATER TOWERS WHEN THE PILGRIMS LANDEDAT PLYMOUTH The curiously telescoped pile and its twin across the ravine were erected in 1620 to store water from a neighboringgorge. Amodern aqueduct spans thevalley to-day, near Naucalpan. The village is noted for its enshrined Virgin of Help, patroness of Spaniards in Mexico. After a Mexican victory ageneral issued anorder that the image be cast out of the country, but relented when the Spaniards promised never to use it to influence politics.