National Geographic : 1935 Feb
Photograph by Publishers' Photo Service A SOLEMN PROCESSION OF CHURCHMEN MOVES UP A STREET OF OLD STE. ANNE DE BEAUPRE Storm-wearied Breton sailors built here in the 17th century a shrine to Saint Anne, Patroness of Brittany, to whom they had prayed for delivery. Beau Pre, "Beautiful Meadow," they named the stretch of grassland, and it became a place of worship for fishermen sailing the St. Lawrence. Thousands ofdevout pilgrims come annually to this town, 22 miles northeast of Quebec.