National Geographic : 1935 Sep
COLORFUL PATINAS OF NORTHERN ITALY © National Geographic Society Autochrome Lumiere by Hans Hildenbrand ASTRONOMERS SCAN THE SKIES FROM MADONNA DI SAN LUCA'S GREEN DOME This 200-year-old pilgrimage church, crowning a foothill of the Apennines, is approached by a colonnade more than two miles long. From its favored site it overlooks learned Bologna, whose university scholars played important roles in the Italian Renaissance. Both Dante and Petrarch were schooled in the city. The church was named for a painting brought from Constantinople (Istanbul) in the 12th century.