National Geographic : 1935 Nov
Photograph from SirHarry Luke BEDECKED WITH BANNERS OF THE CROSS, WAR GALLEYS OF THE KNIGHTS OF ST. JOHN ONCE PLOWED THE MEDITERRANEAN Malta exhibited this reproduction at a water carnival held during King George V's Silver Jubilee. Fort St.Angelo (right background) israted bythe British Admiralty as a man-of-war. Saracens first fortified the site in the ninth century. Count Robert of Normandy strengthened itinthe tenth, and the Knights rebuilt it in 1686.