National Geographic : 1936 Apr
"THE PLACE OF LOFTY WALLS," ONCE A FORTRESS Nan-Tauach is the most elaborate of the massive stone structures of Nan matal, seldom-visited city of the dead. With mighty rocks, brought from a quarry 15 or more miles away, early builders erected a fortified town, called "Place of the Waterways," because of its Venicelike canals (see text, page 509). ON TINIAN ISLAND STAND THESE ANCIENT COLUMNS These square cut monuments ofcoral, with flower pot capitals, may have supported floors of templesormarked the graves ofavanished race. Burial remains have been found inthe capitals and around the bases oftheshafts. The stones appear in parallelrows.