National Geographic : 1936 Nov
Photograph by Colonel and Mrs. Charles A.Lindbergh THE LINDBERGHS OBSERVED CHICHEN ITZA FROM THE AIR The famous aviators made a series of flights in October, 1929, exploring the eastern part of the Yucatan Peninsula. The aerial surveys were sponsored bythe Carnegie Institution of Washington and the Pan American Airways. Dr. A. V . Kidder and Dr. 0 . G . Ricketson, Jr., of the Carnegie staff, accompanied the flyers. Photographs were made of ruined cities; this shows the New Empire site of Chichen Itza, with the Monastery in the foreground, and the principal temple inthe center background.