National Geographic : 1936 Nov
© National Geographic Society 1rinlay t'notograpn byLuis lviarden FOUR YEARS OF DIGGING AND REBUILDING HAVE REVEALED MUCH OF THE TEMPLE OF THE WARRIORS' FORMER GRANDEUR This pyramid-sanctuary and colonnade at Chichen Itza was nothing but a mound, covered with stones and overgrown with trees and bushes, when the Carnegie Institution commenced work on it in 1925. Archeologists named the now roofless buildingafter thesculptures offighting men found on pillars. Beyond the temple stretches the bush which covers much of level Yucatan. An automobile road runs from Merida, capital oftheState, tothe ancient Itza metropolis, where a modern hotel accommodates the numerous visitors to the ruins.