National Geographic : 1937 Mar
COMPASSED BY AN OX HIDE, TRAMPED ON BY WAR ELEPHANTS, THE BYRSA OF CARTHAGE NOW BEARS THE NAME OF ST. LOUIS Carthage was traditionally founded about 850 B.C. by Queen Dido, who bought from the Libyo-Phoenician natives "as much land as could becontained bythe skin of an ox." She cut up the hide into narrow strips which girdled the entire hill, the Byrsa, which was later renamedinhonor ofthe French King and Crusader, Saint Louis, who died here in 1270. Beyond the ruins of the Admiralty (foreground), modern villas rise on the hill, for Carthage isnow asuburb ofTunis. Virgil and Flaubert gave a lasting glory to this site whose elephant ramps and once-impregnable walls are now dust (page 349).