National Geographic : 1937 Sep
MAGNOLIA STATE MOSAIC (S) National Geographic society Dufaycolor Photograph by J. Baylor Roberts "CHANGE CLASSES" RINGS THE "OLE MISS" LYCEUM BELL Fathers and grandfathers of these students have trooped across the University campus to this clear chime. Here, before the War, planters' sons came with slaves and riding horses. Women were admitted in 1882; their dormitories are called "coops." Framed is the first diploma, awarded in 1851, found by a Federal soldier, taken north, and later returned here. "Gentlemen don't haze" is one rule; tradition requires that everybody speak to everybody in passing on campus.