National Geographic : 1937 Nov
00 Photograph byMaynard Owen Williams WELL-PRESERVED FORT MACKINAC GIVES MODERN AMERICANS A GLIMPSE OF LIFE IN AN OLD FRONTIER OUTPOST These stockaded walls and log blockhouses, with loopholes for muskets, were built by the British in 1780, when Mackinac Island, atthe northern tip ofthe Michigan peninsula, was becoming an important rendezvous for Great Lakes trappers, fur traders, soldiers, and missionaries. United States troops took possession in1796-one of the last events of the Revolution. A British. force recaptured the fort in 1812 by surprising the American garrison,who had not heard that war was declared. Later returned to Uncle Sam, the island has become a popular summer resort, and is one of the few places remaining where automobiles are not allowed.